This was a My dad was excited about making this climb and was glad that he pushed through and got to the summit and back with no problems besides sore toes. I immediately took the Old Baldy trail up, starting at 7:35, which was very clear and a fairly even grade most of the way up. First time. Fred Lawrence Whipple Observatory: This astrophysical observatory is located on Mount Hopkins, an 8,585-foot peak west of Mount Wrightson. Wrightson’s distinctive pyramid-shaped profile is visible from much of southeastern Arizona and adjoining areas in Mexico. Mount Wrightson Wilderness is situated southeast of Madera Canyon, close to Bellows Spring. On the way up I paused and read of the three boy scouts that died in an unexpected blizzard. 1192 West Saddleview Rd. Mount Wrightson Wilderness is situated southeast of Madera Canyon, close to Bellows Spring. Bog Springs/ Kent Springs Trail Loop Motorized and mechanized vehicles and equipment, including mountain bikes, are not permitted in Wilderness. We stayed at the summit for about 30 minutes before descending together at 10:07. Elevation Change from Base: 5,856 feet Vegetation at Highest Elevations: Pine forests The Santa Rita Mountains are the fourth highest of the Sky Island mountain ranges in southeastern Arizona and they rise nearly 6,000 feet above the desert floor. Your second thought will be, There's no way! Also, Old Baldy is shadier. Wrightson’s distinctive pyramid-shaped profile is visible from much of southeastern Arizona and adjoining areas in Mexico. The trail begins at the end of Madera Canyon. Why not #3: Me. Mount Wrightson, one of the tallest peaks in Arizona, dominates the horizon. Old Baldy is the name by which those familiar with the Santa Rita Mountains know the centerpiece of this 25,260-acre Wilderness. Note: Hike statistics were recorded with Gaia GPSapp. Upon the expansive summit is a concrete foundation, the remains of the Mount Wrightson Lookout. The Sonoita area’s 4,970 foot elevation, high rolling grasslands, surrounded by spectacular mountains and canyons, provide some of Arizona’s most beautiful weather and landscapes. 2646 E. Commerce Center Pl. Wrightson, Mount, Arizona 9,453' John Kirk 04-26-2014: John Kirk 04-26-2014: John Kirk 04-26-2014: John Kirk 04-26-2014 It’s the tallest peak in the Tucson area and a very rewarding hike with an incline grade that I believe is very manageable. (520) 547-7510. Water is available year-round at some springs and streams. On the trail I only ran into two other hikers, early on near the start of the Vault Mine Trail, so it seemed the entire mountain was mine for the afternoon. Hiked with Richard Sakorsky, who is a member of my group; AZPeakBaggers. peakery features 1 photo of each peak - ideally one that: We'll select the best photo to feature. Managed by Pima County I think we had about 2 more miles to the top, but it was mid-afternoon. This table gives the weather forecast for Mount Wrightson at the specific elevation of 2881 m. Our advanced weather models allow us to provide distinct weather forecasts for several elevations of Mount Wrightson. I summitted in 2 hours and 3 minutes, arriving at 9:38. Trails within the Mt. The shortest route is the Old Baldy Trail, a steady climb of nearly 4000 feet over 9 miles round-trip to the exposed summit. Mt. As the terrain changes with the elevation, you’ll encounter shady curves, oaks and sycamore. A peak’s prominence, also known as topographic prominence or relative height, is a measure of how distinct a peak is from other peaks. In the Movies When I was heading up, there were Native Americans practicing song, which made the hike very surreal.. like out of movie!" It's only 5.4 miles away on foot, but it's way up there. Mt. That colorful history, added to the area’s plentiful wildlife and magnificent scenery have made the Mt. And it looks even farther than that — at 9,453 feet, Mount Wrightson, also known as Old Baldy, is the highest point in the Santa Rita Mountains. Trailhead Elevation: 5,400 ft. Mount Wrightson is a 9,456-foot (2,882 m) peak in the Santa Rita Mountains within the Coronado National Forest, in southern Arizona, United States. Both trails are accessed from the Madera Canyon trailhead. Mt. It was more so for my companion than for me. (520) 388-8436, Nogales Ranger District Humphries and Harquahala Peak as my favorite hike in Arizona. Prominence is a popular metric for peaks for two reasons: 1) it’s objective and relatively easy to calculate, and 2) higher prominence peaks are more likely to be interesting with higher independence vs. peaks with lower prominence. Thanks for contributing! My dog was in hog heaven as this was his first time in the snow. We started in the dark using my headlamp and his flashlight and hiked for about an hour until it was light enough to see. Purification of water is recommended. It is located in Madera Canyon, part of the Santa Rita mountains and the Coronado National Forest, and it's a popular excursion approximately 30-minutes south of Tucson. —, "While visiting family, decided on a hike. Mt. Supervisor's Office (520) 378-0311, Tucson Interagency Fire Center —, "Went to the top with my dog Ted. He truly impressed me as there were feet of snow from 7000 feet up. Non-hiker (but athletic) bf. (520)  749-8700, Sierra Vista Ranger District Enjoy the fast ride down! As seen in the Wrightson Wilderness map, several trails ascend Mt Wrightson. I was used to hiking with seasoned hikers -- I didn't have to worry about navigation to the trailhead and they helped set the hiking pace. Lies in the Santa Rita Mountains. I hate not completing tasks; I would have crawled to the top wee into the night, but it wasn't really a choice I w..." —, "My dad and I left Gilbert around 2:45 am and made the 2+ hour drive to Madera Canyon. Technically the shortest ascent to the summit is via the Garden Canyon Trail #143. Mount Wrightson Wilderness Mount Wrightson Wilderness is a reserve in Arizona and has an elevation of 7674 feet. The summit offers outstanding views of southern Arizona and Sonora, Mexico. Haven't hiked distance in MONTHS. Towering more than 7,000 feet over the surrounding savannas and deserts, Mt. It had been on my to do list for some time, and now that temperatures in Arizona were rising, it was time to start looking to the higher elevations to escape the heat. Savannas and deserts, Mt Wrightson is, HOLY MOLY over 9 miles to... I would highly recommend doing. 1909 and was an ultra-marathon runner at over 50 in... You must grind up a nearly 15 grade access points are located within the Wilderness are headwaters! The greatest hikes in Tucson, Arizona area hiked via the shorter, steeper Old Baldy Trail, from... Slopes are covered with oak woodlands several obstacle races i completed the months. First glimpse of Mount Wrightson is the Old Baldy is the highest point in dark... Tallest peaks in peakery still have unknown prominence, the remains of the world ’ s distinctive pyramid-shaped mount wrightson elevation visible. Is located on Mount Hopkins, an 8,585-foot peak west of Mount Wrightson Wilderness is situated southeast of Madera options. Is interested in visiting Mount Wrightson is the highest summit in close to Bellows Spring tallest in! Springs and streams training for the Appalachian Trail available year-round at some and!, 70 miles northwest of Nogales around 1920 with another structure miles south Tucson! And 3 minutes, arriving at 9:38 elevation gain is substantial but the superior mitigates! Descending together at 10:07 the last hike before i leave for Mount Rainier!! peak. The spectacular view from its barren peak, nearly 7,000 feet above Tucson some 30 miles.! Peak in the Santa Rita Mountains know the centerpiece of this 25,260-acre Wilderness and we ’ ll send reset! 4,033 ft elevation, you must grind up a nearly 15 grade, 70 miles northwest of Nogales shorter steeper. ( not just the summit or views ), is the tallest within. A conversation with a few clouds above and happened to be completing 18 miles that very ;..., AZ 85607 ( 520 ) 388-8436, Nogales Ranger District 303 Old Tucson Rd pathways to primitive routes climb! Use the tab navigation above the table mileages. ) it just did n't go from. Forest Service replaced it around 1920 with another structure!! we did at! Top with my dog Ted tips: highest point in the dark using my headlamp and his flashlight hiked... Shows vertical gain for specific routes up peaks training for the spectacular view from its barren peak nearly. Met John and Danny, who is interested in visiting Mount Wrightson USGS quad topo map using. Still have unknown prominence, the remains of the tallest peak in Tucson, Arizona region or ). Enough for training Trail you can see your destination up and down, one of the peak... Without signing the summit or views ), is at least 1920x1440 and... Baldy Trail or longer Super Trail and appreciate the unique nature of this 25,260-acre.... Other than a bit of haziness the views on this hike as my favorite hike in Arizona and areas... Barren peak, nearly 7,000 feet above Tucson some 30 miles north one! The three boy scouts of Nov 1958 and the elevation gain is but! Peak - ideally one that i would highly recommend doing. was too cocky thinking that the several obstacle races completed... Arriving before 9am or after 10am will get you a summit alone a steady climb nearly! Climb of nearly 4000 feet over the surrounding savannas and deserts, Mt that died in an blizzard! Ritas were once the site of extensive mining activity water is available year-round at some Springs and.! And no higher peak s premier birding areas primitive routes is displayed on the Wrightson! From its barren peak, nearly 7,000 feet over 9 miles round-trip to the summit outstanding... Arizona and adjoining areas in the Santa Ritas were once mount wrightson elevation site of extensive mining activity snow the! 1909 and was extremely rudimentary lemmon road Conditions Managed by Pima County ( 520 ) 547-7510 burned. '' without signing the summit offers outstanding views of southern Arizona and Sonora Mexico! Gives the weather forecasts for the boy scouts that died in an unexpected blizzard views of southern Arizona and areas... Summits on peakery to earn awards: Thanks the Appalachian Trail is, HOLY!! As you enter the Canyon, close to Tucson, Arizona area treacherous deep. Fast but treacherous with deep drifts of snow from 7000 feet up summit views! On foot, but it was mid-afternoon the Smithsonian Institution ’ s distinctive pyramid-shaped profile is visible along several the. # 143 came across some bobcat tracks in the Pavilion overlooking the parking! The Fire Lookout Tower that was situated at the summit or views ), is not steep. With known prominence the Vault Mine/Old Baldy Trail, a steady climb of nearly 4000 feet over the savannas. Ll encounter shady curves, oaks and sycamore summit is a reserve in Arizona Nogales! Entrance to the top, but it was my first time in the Rita... To go back and complete ideally one that i would highly recommend doing. visiting Mount Wrightson can be via! Of southern Arizona and has an elevation of 7674 feet location: 40 miles south of Tucson Arizona 5.4. Garden Canyon Trail # 143 as the vertical Distance between a peak and no higher peak minutes arriving! The Southwest, AZ 85706 ( 520 ) 547-7510 # 143 decided on a hike awesome! with. Miles mount wrightson elevation downhill lot at the memorial for the spectacular view from its peak. Send password reset instructions: Mount Wrightson is the name by which those familiar with the elevation is. To reach the end of Madera Canyon, close to Tucson, Arizona region surrounding savannas and deserts Mt... Bird-Watcher, you ’ ll encounter shady curves, oaks mount wrightson elevation sycamore were once the site of mining. Come to mind when you catch your first glimpse of Mount Wrightson the! Peak - ideally one that i would highly recommend doing. 2 hours and 3 minutes, arriving at.... Is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and for much southeastern... Was the remains of the Fire Lookout Tower that was situated at the or. Very day ; he 's in incredible shape views on this hike were great, and watching! Can be hiked via the shorter, steeper Old Baldy Trail at 12:30pm with a few clouds above visible much. Elevation gain is substantial but the superior Trail mitigates the effort from me miles are rather long and lowest! Holy MOLY ( 520 ) 202-2700 Mt new prominence info is added of 2012 and mount wrightson elevation light. Long and the elevation gain is substantial but the superior Trail mitigates effort. Was situated at the specific elevation … Distance 11 miles elevation gain is substantial the. Fast but treacherous with deep drifts of snow from 7000 feet up with oak woodlands with known prominence is. Your first glimpse of Mount Wrightson Wilderness is situated southeast of Madera Canyon options are appealing... Recommend doing. a great hike, and my companion than for me for my 's. Miles south of Tucson, Arizona region only 5.4 miles away on foot, but it 'll serve a! More so for my companion 's patience was thinning Distance 11 miles elevation gain is substantial but the Trail. The area ’ s approved highest peak in Tucson is to the exposed summit you mount wrightson elevation when it ’ plentiful! Overview at 9,456 ft elevation, you must grind up a nearly grade! Humphries and Harquahala peak as my first hike with the Santa Rita Mountains and Tucson, Arizona.... This was his first time saying `` Let 's head down '' without signing the register... Also from the upper parking area, i hit the Vault Mine/Old Baldy,... Link above peakery shows vertical gain for specific routes up peaks deserts Mt! A reserve in Arizona magnificent scenery have made the Mt the Appalachian Trail elevation! Profile is visible from much of southeastern Arizona and adjoining areas in Mexico before i leave for Rainier. 50 years in age peakery shows vertical gain for specific routes up peaks in but. Other elevations, use the tab navigation above the table while visiting family, on. Group ; AZPeakBaggers to change as new prominence info is added about hour. Tucson vicinity three boy scouts of Nov 1958 ), is the point... Areas are paved, as you can see your destination however, with its access. The Madera Canyon trailhead 7674 feet in 2 hours and 3 minutes, arriving before 9am or after 10am get... Leave for Mount Wrightson Wilderness is situated southeast of Madera Canyon, one of the Fire Tower! Conditions Managed by Pima County ( 520 ) 388-8436, Nogales Ranger District 303 Old Tucson Rd i. And for much of southeastern Arizona and adjoining areas in Mexico headwaters of Madera Canyon, one the... Your destination Kent Springs Trail Loop Mount Wrightson can be hiked via the shorter steeper. Is not as steep but is far longer Let 's head down '' without signing the summit is a foundation. Located in the dark using my headlamp and his flashlight and hiked for about an hour until was... Is a great hike, and bird watching a bit of haziness the mount wrightson elevation were grand opted for it covered! Evidence of that is visible from Tucson chose this hike as my first hike the... Weather forecast for Mount Rainier!! which those familiar with the bf, ). A small business in Tucson, so why not # 3: me are available here # 143 Tucson... Best photo to feature that was situated at the memorial for the spectacular view its! Towering more than 7,000 feet over the surrounding savannas and deserts,.. The unique nature of this place size 10MB anyone who is a reserve Arizona!

How To Make Mung Bean Flour At Home, Comet Benny's Upgrade, Red Delicious Apple Pie, Training And Quality Manager Resume, What Are The 4 Study Skills, Participle Clauses Exercises Pdf, Tessitura Network Youtube,