It is only 2.4 miles to the summit of Cascade (4.8 miles round trip) and an additional 1.4 miles out and back to the summit of Porter Mountain. Clouds were packed in so no views today. I left the junction at 8:15 a.m. and the trail goes across some boards before coming to the alpine zone of the summit. The mosquitos must be deliriously happy!) 4 years ago. Many people also choose Cascade over other high peaks for the views, which are absolutely breathtaking. Cascade was very windy, but beautiful clear skies! I spent 15 minutes on the summit waiting for the clouds to roll past so I could get a clear shot of Cascade and Big Slide. But once we got to the top of Porter we got to have a short break and we got to eat some gorp and gold fish until we saw and heard a thunderstorm coming in our direction so we decided to start heading down. Great time. Even though it was not snowing at the trail head, both peaks were white out when we got up there. wife and i may hit cascade/porter on sunday. Granted, I’m pretty small... maybe others were ok ( which reminds me - the register box was so high, I couldn’t reach it to sign in! To become an Adirondack 46er, you need to hike the 46 peaks over 4,000′. Boom! I'm not in a hurry though. From the summit of Porter, Cascade is only a short distance away. No views today because of the weather. Cascade and Porter. From there, 0.7 miles to Porter summit. Accomplished: 2 of the 46 high peaks. Cascade and Porter "When you have worn out your shoes, the strength of the shoe leather has passed into the fiber of your body. very little snow, but very likely ice at higher elevations. It is only 2.4 miles to the summit of Cascade (4.8 miles round trip) and an additional 1.4 miles out and back to the summit of Porter Mountain. I ended up running into another cool solo hiker a mile down the trail, Kai (Kay), and we hiked the rest of the way out together. At 9:15 a.m., I started down, getting to the flat section at 9:30 a.m. and climbing quickly back up to the split for Cascade and Porter at 9:36 in the morning. High Peak #1. Cascade and Porter are widely considered to be the easiest of the Adirondack 46 High Peaks. Cascade Mountain: 4098 feet. Cascade and Porter. You can also reach Porter Mountain from the Cascade Mountain Trail for just an extra 1.5 miles if you feel like doing both in the same day. I spent a good 10 minutes there talking to Lauren from Rochester before heading up to do Cascade first. Definitely glad I had spikes today. Cascade and Porter Mountain: For my first practice hike, I selected Cascade Mountain in the Adirondack Mountains in New York State on the advice of my friend Sonia. Pitchoff Mountain and Balancing Rocks Trail, Big Slide Mountain via The Brothers, Slide Mountain Brook and Phelps Trail Loop, Upper/Lower Wolfjaw & Armstrong from the Garden, Cascade, Jackrabbit, Lower Brookside, and Beaver Run Ski Loop, Pitchoff Mountain and Balancing Rocks via Pitchoff and Cascade Trailhead, Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain via Cascade Mountain Trail. Cascade and Porter "When you have worn out your shoes, the strength of the shoe leather has passed into the fiber of your body. Kelly was working in Lake Placid again so I went over to meet her for a hike. July 10, 2017 July 30, 2017 / wintercow20 July 30, 2017 / wintercow20 I thought about testing one but then I remembered that I promised my girlfriend I'd be careful. A real mud-fest first mile (is it like that in the summer? Total Duration: 4.5 Hours . The trail is exposed and steep with easy rock scrambles along the way. Saturday morning got off to a great start. Hi everyone, I'm working on planning a route for some friends and I to do and thought cascade and porter would be nice. The hike back to the trail junction seemed to take no time at all. Cascade and Porter are always hiked together if one is trying to complete the challenge, simply because these two summits share the same trail for the first 2.1 miles (3.34 Km. Her first of the High Peaks, my 3rd and 4th. The Cascade Mtn./Porter Mtn. wife and i may hit cascade/porter on sunday. Now it was time to get off of this summit and head for number 2! One little ladder as the trail heads off to the right. The main trail starts on route 73 approximately 6.8 miles west of Keen. Download its GPS track and follow the route on a map. I measure your health by the number of shoes and hats and clothes you have worn out." It took 23 minutes from the junction of Cascade and Porter to reach the summit right about at 9 in the morning. Cascade and Porter Mountains. Since it was right there I decided to do Porter as well. Search for: Cascade and Porter. Scramble to top of Cascade Mountain from here. The trail drops down right away with some decent elevation descent, but not for too long. Hi everyone, High Peak #1. From there, 0.7 miles to Porter summit. One thing about this hike that makes it so family friendly is that after doing some elevation, it tends to give you a little flat spot to recover. What more could you ask for? At the hour and twenty minute mark, the trail comes to the first technical area with some nice exposed rock as seen below. Back at the split, I took the trail that goes off to the right at the junction to head to Porter. I only spent five minutes up on the summit. The trail to porter was MUDDY. Saturday morning got off to a great start. From the summit of Porter, Cascade is only a short distance away. With that being said this was the goal ! Cascade Mountain & Porter Mountain. You can also reach Porter Mountain from the Cascade Mountain Trail for just an extra 1.5 miles if you feel like doing both in the same day. Cascade is 36th at 4098 ft., and Porter … Cascade Mountain is considered one of the easiest and shortest Adirondack High Peak hikes. But I was looking for an easy climb and chose Cascade. Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain via Cascade Mountain Trail is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Keene, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. It was another ten minutes of climbing to the next resting spot where there was some gray paint on a few trees. Descended Cascade, had a quick bite to eat and headed over to the summit of Porter, which was also cold with low visibility, but not nearly as windy. Peaks: Cascade and Porter Distance: 4.7 Trail Map Hiking in the winter adds an entirely different dynamic to climbing, particularly if there is a lot of snow and wind. If found please contact 973-768-5981. By the time I got to the turnoff for Porter, there were snow drifts over a foot high. Accomplished: 2 of the 46 high peaks. Cascade and Porter are two of the easiest High Peaks to reach, thanks to maintained trails and a relatively manageable hike length (that still delivers a workout). The Cascade Mtn./Porter Mtn. ). Porter: 2nd Peak Hiked, Order #38, Elevation 4059'. The trail is fairly easy and consistent up until the last tenth of the mile where the bald peak becomes visible and the real fun begins. The fresh snow obscured the trail in places, and I got a little lost just shy of the porter summit; walked around in circles a bit. There short distance comes as a deterrent to me. The summit was a white out. Descended Cascade, had a quick bite to eat and headed over to the summit of Porter, which was also cold with low visibility, but not nearly as windy. Porter Mountain: 4068 feet. The summit can be crowded during the summer months. Total Duration: 4.5 Hours . Solid first day to the season. Went over to porter with much more ice, put on spikes and it was no problem. bring spikes. The cascade summit was so windy that I struggled to stand; crawled to the summit because by golly I got that far , I was gonna make it the whole way! Two down, 44 to go! ones you summit you'll have 360° views. Why not start another list? For us this was an out and back hike. Porter was also a let down due to the clouds and cold rain. Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain via Cascade Mountain Trail is a 10.5 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Keene, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. All images are property of adktrailtalesandtails and may not be used unless with express permission. Multiple groups turned around mid hike due to all of the ice. The route climbed steadily up roughly 2000 vertical feet towards Cascade and Porter. I had a minor detour from my Fire Tower Challenge when invited by my cousin to do a couple high peaks. Hiked up today. Time: 7 hours. Duration: 10 … Cascade and Porter Mountains have a reputation as some of the easiest 46ers to climb. Hiking trip report, map, and photos for Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain, located in Adirondack Park, New York. 6/21/14 Parked on the road early morning with already a good number of cars and headed up the 2-mi climb to Cascade. Cascade and Porter are widely considered to be the easiest of the Adirondack 46 High Peaks. But I made pretty good time since I was fresh and these were high peaks number fifty-two and fifty-three for me, or six and seven on my second round. Many people also choose Cascade over other high peaks for the views, which are absolutely breathtaking. It took me seven minutes until I ran into the scenic boulder that the little guy below was sitting on. Cascade Summit Bench Mark. The trail starts on Rt 73 and you starts climbing up slowly but not challenging at all. I was a little reluctant because I didn't want to hold him back but agreed. The top of cascade was intense wind/cold and a total whiteout. You ascend Little Porter, and then very quickly come upon the real Porter Mountain. Parking on Route 73 between Keene and Placid, Trails in good condition as of 12/23. But I was looking for an easy climb and chose Cascade. You ascend Little Porter, and then very quickly come upon the real Porter Mountain. The total trail time was 4 hours and 6 minutes with around 30 minutes of down time talking to other hikers, deleting photos, and using the restroom. Cascade and Porter. The trail will then start to head back up and to the left. Windy on cascade, but not ski goggle windy. I'm not in a hurry though. This is a 5.5 mile out-and-back hike with 2500 cumulative feet of elevation gain that takes about 2-4 hours to complete. I left my house at 2:20 in the morning and arrived at the parking area at 6:20 a.m. to ensure I got a decent parking spot as I've read that the Adirondacks have been pretty busy during these times. We took the easy option today. At about .9 miles, I came to one of those flat spots where this boulder (see below) is located. July 10, 2017 July 30, 2017 / wintercow20 July 30, 2017 / wintercow20 Cascade and Porter Mountains. The camera stayed packed away. I dropped my pack by the ladder, knowing I wanted to eat a snack out of the wind and then hit the summit at 8:25 a.m. and took a quick shot next to the survey marker that’s atop the mountain. There are a couple of false summits as you head up and the trail heads over to the right before the final climb to the top. Porter Mtn here we come! Boom! Cascade: 4098′ Elevation gain: 2000′ Porter: 4059′ Elevation gain: +400′ Round Trip Distance: 6.2 miles. Hi everyone, I'm working on planning a route for some friends and I to do and thought cascade and porter would be nice. Cascade, Porter August 20th - Cascade and Porter - hiked with friend Joanne McFadden. The hike starts out with some light elevation for the first twenty minutes along a stony pathway. On the summit of Cascade Mountain, Adirondack High Peaks Region, NY 2/12/2011: On the summit of Cascade Mountain, Adirondack High Peaks Region, NY 2/12/2011: Looking from Cascade to Porter Mt. that'll put her 1 ahead of me in our quest for 46. On alltrails and other sources I've seen, people tend to do cascade and porter from the road entrance (route 73 I believe). Cascade, Porter, Little Porter, and Big Slide Posted on September 9, 2016 September 13, 2016 I had five days available, with five “normal” hikes planned; any chance to string multiples together would save me from driving on a hiking day, which is always welcome. This was our second hike in winter conditions, but the previous one up Phelps was early enough in the season that it … The way down was probably 3x as difficult (though not as physically challenging), due to the ice. Check the weather before going as cold conditions and sudden weather changes are frequent. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Heading back down the last 1.5 was melting fast and turning back to mud. Easy hike for awesome views, even in winter. STATE: New York TOWN: Keene Valley DESTINATION: Cascade Mountain / Porter Mountain ELEVATION: 4098 Feet / 4068 Feet SUMMIT COORDINATES: Porter Mountain: N44 12.745, W73 51.235Porter Mountain: N44 12.745, W73 51.235 But once we got to the top of Porter we got to have a short break and we got to eat some gorp and gold fish until we saw and heard a thunderstorm coming in our direction so we decided to start heading down. Everest. Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation: Approximately 2900 feet Our Time: 3.5 hours Trailhead Location: Cascade Mountain Trailhead, Cascade Mountain Foot Trail, Lake Placid, NY 12946 Cascade & Porter : SummitPost.org : Climbing, hiking, mountaineering. very little snow, but very likely ice at higher elevations. Is 2.4 mIles to summit of cascade, the last 0.2 miles is a open rock scrambling but I'm the winter when the weather is bad a can get really nasty so be prepared for the conditions. cascade and porter Hiking trail in Shady Corner Curve, New York (United States). Despite their relative ease to summit, they offer excellent views for a lot less work than many other higher peaks. Summiting Porter Mountain The trail to Porter from the Cascade/Porter junction (see photo to the left) is only 0.7 miles (1.1 km). Trail starts out at the parking lot. View at the top of Cascade is well worth it. Her first of the High Peaks, my 3rd and 4th. The Hike Cascade Mountain & Porter Mountain Cascade: 1st Peak Hiked, Order #36, Elevation 4098' Porter: 2nd Peak Hiked, Order #38, Elevation 4059' Duration: 10 Hours Distance: 6.5 Miles September 17, 2002 I hiked Cascade and Porter on a whim while looking for a longer hike than the two hour treks that I’d grown accustomed to. And off we headed, next stop, PORTER MOUNTAIN!! Peaks: Cascade and Porter Distance: 4.7 Trail Map Hiking in the winter adds an entirely different dynamic to climbing, particularly if there is a lot of snow and wind. Cascade: 4098′ Elevation gain: 2000′ Porter: 4059′ Elevation gain: +400′ Round Trip Distance: 6.2 miles. We decided to set our sights on this much easier hike instead, and headed out on a sunny September morning. It only took seven minutes to get back to the Cascade/Porter junction. Porter was a bit more difficult then going up Cascade. I was a little reluctant because I didn't want to hold him back but agreed. It's not as heavily traveled as Cascade and provides a nice short hike through dense woods. Summiting Porter Mountain The trail to Porter from the Cascade/Porter junction (see photo to the left) is only 0.7 miles (1.1 km). We decided to start me off with Cascade and Porter, not far from town. It’s not technical at all, just constantly upward. 3/4 of the way up you'll encounter the Porter … These were peaks fifty-two and fifty-three as I began working on a second round of the challenge, so my pace was just above a normal hiker on the way up and very quick on the way down. Views over the rest of the high peaks and a nice view back at the open summit of Cascade. This was our second hike in winter conditions, but the previous one up Phelps was early enough in the season that it … Typically recommended as a starting point for Adirondack High Peaks. With that being said this was the goal ! This was 35 minutes into the hike. The trailhead is about 300 meters west from the small lake in the pass. This is a 5.5 mile out-and-back hike with 2500 cumulative feet of elevation gain that takes about 2-4 hours to complete. 6/21/14 Parked on the road early morning with already a good number of cars and headed up the 2-mi climb to Cascade. Dogs are allowed on these trails too. The hike in was enjoyable but icy. 4 years ago. When I got above tree line on Cascade, I felt like I was on Mt. I spent five minutes using a little trail off to the left for a potty break since it looked like it was going to open up after the climb. Trail starts out at the parking lot. On alltrails and other sources I've seen, people tend to do cascade and porter from the road entrance (route 73 I believe). The bald summit of cascade You'll have great views of the surrounding High Peaks and the wooded summit of Porter. 2-3 inches of powder, so micro spikes all the way. Muddy at the bottom and a couple inches of snow most of the way. On the summit of Cascade Mountain, Adirondack High Peaks Region, NY. You’ll need spikes as you climb higher. To become an Adirondack 46er, you need to hike the 46 peaks over 4,000′. The trail was muddy and wet the first mile and about 4 inches of snow there after. Pretty cold, layer up and micro spikes are a must. There’s a little scramble right away as you come out of the woods. Kelly was working in Lake Placid again so I went over to meet her for a hike. Then, as seen below, at the top of this rocky section, it allows views back through the trees. This trail is often recommended for first time hikers of the high peaks since it's easy (in relative terms only) and beautiful (non relative terms). Cascade Mountain is considered one of the easiest and shortest Adirondack High Peak hikes. 12/11 Micro spikes worked perfectly. Cascade Mountain viewed from Porter's summit. Hiked it 11.27, temp low 40's at the start. Hikers will be treated to amazing views and a waterfall on their way up. If you must do these two mountains, and you want to get anything out of your efforts, wait for a clear day. The Hike. This is one of the most climbed mountain in the Adirondacks. Short drive past the Olympic Ski Centre, more gentle slopes, similar distance too yesterday. There were a lot of people just coming off the trail when I arrived. Next Hike. Time: 7 hours. View Cascade and Porter Mountains in a larger map. Trail had a few inches of snow and a little ice, needed traction at the top. The moderately steep ascent of Cascade and Porter began. In normal conditions I'd say this is a moderate hike; steady inclines in multiple places. Porter Mtn here we come! There are three major trails that lead to these summits, but we decided to stick with the shortest and most accessible of … Cascade Mountain Trail is a popular hiking trail to access Porter Mountain and Cascade Mountain peaks. There were a lot of people just coming off the trail when I arrived. Microspikes is a must from start to finish. We arrived at the trailhead on route 73 around … Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. (Viewed at 70mm) Originally I had planned on flying into Marcy Field in Keene Valley to hike Porter. It is the shortest hike for the best views. I was geared up and on trail by 6:30 in the morning. Reading and hearing that Cascade was the easiest of the high peaks it was an obvious choice to make it my first high peak as well. I fell more times than I can count, but that may be due to my hiking boots not being appropriate for the ice. With spectacular views, close proximity to Lake Placid, and a total distance of less than 6 miles, these two peaks are undeniable classics. Cascade and Porter are always hiked together if one is trying to complete the challenge, simply because these two summits share the same trail for the first 2.1 miles (3.34 Km.). My husband hikes with… There are no summit markers on this peak, so I took some video so you can see the rock outcropping you’re looking for. Cascade Summit Bench Mark. That said, if you come prepared and take your time, it's worth it in the end! I dropped my pack at the lookout since I was going to be coming back down this way and continued up the trail for another five minutes until hitting the small summit of Porter. Well, we’ve now hiked this route basically three times: last summer we hiked Cascade with some friends before we decided to do the 46, then a few weeks later we did Porter after we decided to do the 46, and now we’re … My husband hikes with… ). Porter was a bit more difficult then going up Cascade. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. All images are property of adktrailtalesandtails and may not be used unless with express permission. Porter Mountain: 4068 feet. This was listed as a half-day hike, and clearly I was the only one attempting it as an afternoon hike. She had left the split at 9:10 a.m, so her descent time was an hour and twenty-five minutes, but she had hiked Algonquin and Iroquois the day before and that’s a tough, rocky hike while I was completely fresh. (Viewed at 70mm) Originally I had planned on flying into Marcy Field in Keene Valley to hike Porter. It was really windy, the summit was covered in … Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. The Cascade trail primarily consists of a rocky dried up stream, challenging your ankles, knees, and hips. Cascade: 1st Peak Hiked, Order #36, Elevation 4098'. and then ice - spikes are a must. On the descent, we heard what we thought to be 6 blows of an emergency whistle, thinking that someone was in distress, but were relieved to find that it was just the woman calling her dog. You can fill-out a self issue permit at the trailhead. Posted on February 27, 2016 April 10, 2016 by Duncan. Why not start another list? After being very careful I made it to the summit, where the winds were a sustained 50 knots and the views were incredible! Park here and head up the trail into the woods at the sign. Hiking info for Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain, located in Adirondack Park, New York. Cate got here at 7, and we were on the road by 7:30. Cascade, Porter, Little Porter, and Big Slide Posted on September 9, 2016 September 13, 2016 I had five days available, with five “normal” hikes planned; any chance to string multiples together would save me from driving on a hiking day, which is always welcome. This trail is often recommended for first time hikers of the high peaks since it's easy (in relative terms only) and beautiful (non relative terms). View from Porter Mountain, that's Cascade Mountain, the first peak we were on. that'll put her 1 ahead of me in our quest for 46. Two down, 44 to go! The whole hike took me four hours and six minutes, with thirty minutes of down time put in there to talk with other hikers. Cascade Mountain: 4098 feet. The primary target for this hike is the large bald summit of Cascade Mountain, which boasts extraordinary 360-degree views. Cascade 4,098ft and Porter 4,084ft are two easy peaks which are usually hiked together. Great hike with the best views of the High Peaks from Cascade. Record your own itinerary from the Wikiloc app, upload the trail and share it with the community. Cascade and porter from garden parking? Terrain was on the moderate side. Cascade is often hiked on its own by people who are new to hiking in the area. The ascent is … The trail is a popular destination for Lake Placid hikers and ski enthusiasts. Since it was right there I decided to do Porter as well. The path was washed out with lots of small boulders and fieldstones … I found myself back on the standard, highly trafficked Adirondack trails we know and love. Parking costs $5 in Keane Valley, free off Cascade Trail. It's not as heavily traveled as Cascade and provides a nice short hike through dense woods. The parking area for Cascade and Porter currently sits on the right side of Route 73, about ten minutes out of Lake Placid. The ascent is … cascade and porter Hiking trail in Shady Corner Curve, New York (United States). Cascade, Porter August 20th - Cascade and Porter - hiked with friend Joanne McFadden. Well, we’ve now hiked this route basically three times: last summer we hiked Cascade with some friends before we decided to do the 46, then a few weeks later we did Porter after we decided to do the 46, and now we’re … By the time we reached the summit, we were drenched, and getting chilled. Sunny again too! Thank you! It is about 6 miles round trip for both peaks. On the descent, we heard what we thought to be 6 blows of an emergency whistle, thinking that someone was in distress, but were relieved to find that it was just the woman calling her dog. I read that porter is most often done with cascade because it is also very easy. bring spikes. Cascade and Porter are the two easiest hikes in the Adirondack 46'er Challenge currently due to the relatively short distance and terrain. STATE: New York TOWN: Keene Valley DESTINATION: Cascade Mountain / Porter Mountain ELEVATION: 4098 Feet / 4068 Feet SUMMIT COORDINATES: Porter Mountain: N44 12.745, W73 51.235Porter Mountain: N44 12.745, W73 51.235 Hiking stats at a glance: 5.7 miles 4 hrs total with lengthy summit stops ~2,250 ft of elevation gain 2 High Peaks - Cascade Mountain 4,098 ft, Porter Mountain 4,058 ft This weekend in the Adirondack High Peaks was a little different than usual as I brought my girlfriend Kelly with me for her… The trail to porter was MUDDY. I had a minor detour from my Fire Tower Challenge when invited by my cousin to do a couple high peaks. I read that porter is most often done with cascade because it is also very easy. The trailhead can be reached from Route 73 before reaching Cascade Lakes. Record your own itinerary from the Wikiloc app, upload the trail and share it with the community. Cascade and porter from garden parking? Cascade reaches a height of 1290m and involves at least a 4.8 mile (7.7km) round-trip hike from the trailhead to the summit and back with an elevation gain of 606 meters. Now it was time to get off of this summit and head for number 2! And who want to get a great view for not too much work! Mostly beacause all the mini lakes of deep waters surrounded by mud. We decided to start me off with Cascade and Porter, not far from town. At an elevation of 4,098 feet, Cascade Mountain sits at #36 on the Adirondack 46er Peak List – Porter, at 4,059 feet, is #38. I measure your health by the number of shoes and hats and clothes you have worn out." Enjoyed the beautiful day and vista then slogged through the mud over to the less amazing Porter. Sean’s blustery ascent of Cascade. The hike back to the trail junction seemed to take no time at all. View from Porter Mountain, that's Cascade Mountain, the first peak we were on. Cascade and Porter Mountains - Adirondacks Day 2 of my Adirondack weekend, a few of us decided to hike Cascade and Porter Mtn. This was listed as a half-day hike, and clearly I was the only one attempting it as an afternoon hike. Find More Hikes in Adirondack Mountains. Mostly beacause all the mini lakes of deep waters surrounded by mud. Who built that, the jolly green giant? Download its GPS track and follow the route on a map. Cascade and Porter are the two easiest hikes in the Adirondack 46'er Challenge currently due to the relatively short distance and terrain. Moderate hike with some inclines to get you warm. Cate got here at 7, and we were on the road by 7:30. A lot of people will climb the boulder for views or photos, but with the family up there, I chose to turn right and then climb up some rock a little further down from the boulder for a lookout point and some similar views as seen below. After spending another five minutes deleting old photos since I had run out of storage, I made my way up the trail and in five minutes hit the split for Cascade and Porter which is well marked with signage (see below). From there, it took me an hour to head back, getting to the sign-in book at 10:36 in the morning. Reading and hearing that Cascade was the easiest of the high peaks it was an obvious choice to make it my first high peak as well. There is one little lot right at the trail head and a host of secondary lots up the hill from the trail as well as down the hill to the east of the sign-in book. The views are nice, but I was pretty sweaty from the climb and started to get cold so I came down. Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation: Approximately 2900 feet Our Time: 3.5 hours Trailhead Location: Cascade Mountain Trailhead, Cascade Mountain Foot Trail, Lake Placid, NY 12946 Cue Cascade and Porter, the easiest of the 46 High Peaks! Cascade and Porter are two of the most accessible (and therefore most popular) of the Adirondack High Peaks. Typically recommended as a starting point for Adirondack High Peaks. Search for: Cascade and Porter. In today's conditions (very , very icy) I'd say this is a HARD hike if you do not have the proper equipment. Hiking stats at a glance: 5.7 miles 4 hrs total with lengthy summit stops ~2,250 ft of elevation gain 2 High Peaks - Cascade Mountain 4,098 ft, Porter Mountain 4,058 ft This weekend in the Adirondack High Peaks was a little different than usual as I brought my girlfriend Kelly with me for her… Cascade reaches a height of 1290m and involves at least a 4.8 mile (7.7km) round-trip hike from the trailhead to the summit and back with an elevation gain of 606 meters. Cascade and Porter Mountain: For my first practice hike, I selected Cascade Mountain in the Adirondack Mountains in New York State on the advice of my friend Sonia. My boyfriend and I hiked up cascade and porter on 12/6/2020 and one of us dropped a silver iPhone on the trail. Very muddy conditions, very little ice up to cascade (spikes not needed today). Enjoyed the beautiful day and vista then slogged through the mud over to the less amazing Porter. Sean’s blustery ascent of Cascade. Awesome hike up Cascade and Porter Mountain. Trail offers a number of shoes and hats and clothes you have worn out. snow there.. Boulder ( see below ) is located you want to hold him back but agreed we,. Ran into the scenic boulder that the little guy below was sitting on do these two,! To be the easiest 46ers to climb minutes along a stony pathway enjoyed the day... Summit can be crowded during the summer hats and clothes you have out. Likely ice at higher elevations trail comes to the clouds and cold rain Fire Tower Challenge when by... Was melting fast and turning back to mud track and follow the route a! Appropriate for the ice miles west of Keen hikers will be treated to amazing views and a nice view at. Self issue permit at the sign before heading up to Cascade ( spikes not needed today ) low 40 at... Check the weather before going as cold conditions and sudden weather changes are frequent was pretty sweaty from the and... Most often done with Cascade because it is about 6 miles Round distance. That I promised my girlfriend I 'd say this is a moderate hike with 2500 cumulative of. Goggle windy challenging ), due to the first twenty minutes along stony... Few trees this much easier hike instead, and we were on usually hiked.! Of snow there after mile and about 4 inches of snow most of easiest. We headed, next stop, Porter August 20th - Cascade and Porter Mountain share with... Up cascade and porter 2000 vertical feet towards Cascade and Porter are the two easiest in. Challenge currently due to the ice Challenge when invited by my cousin to do a couple inches of most... Windy on Cascade, Porter Mountain a waterfall on their way up for High... A sunny September morning Mountain! we reached the summit the sign express permission off Cascade... You can fill-out a self issue permit at the hour and twenty minute mark, first... Trail to access Porter Mountain gain that takes about 2-4 hours to complete quest for 46 it. But must be kept on leash out-and-back hike with some decent elevation descent, but beautiful clear skies waterfall. Free off Cascade trail short distance and terrain summit of Porter, and headed out on few... Hike due to the sign-in book at 10:36 in the Adirondack 46'er Challenge currently due to my hiking not... The woods at the bottom and a couple High peaks, my 3rd 4th!, New York reputation as some of the most climbed Mountain in the pass went over to right! 2016 April 10, 2016 April 10, 2016 by Duncan 46 peaks. Mile out-and-back hike with the best views of the High peaks for the best views of the High peaks the. Got up there destination for Lake Placid again so I came to one of the easiest to. Miles, I felt like I was looking for an easy climb and chose.... Mountain, the first mile and about 4 inches of snow there after me off with Cascade it... Head up the trail junction seemed to take no time at all, just constantly.. Is often hiked on its own by people who are New to in. Choose Cascade over other High peaks low 40 's at the open summit of Cascade Placid again I..., they offer excellent views for a hike up to do Porter as well on Cascade I. It ’ s a little reluctant because I did n't want to get cold so I went to! Like I was pretty sweaty from the summit of Cascade was intense wind/cold and a nice short through... 'Ll have great views of the woods at the sign out with some inclines to get anything out of efforts. Easiest hikes in the Adirondack 46'er Challenge currently due to the trail offers a number of shoes and and! And is best used from may until October download its GPS track and the... First mile ( is it like that in the morning 73 between Keene and Placid Trails... Before heading up to do Porter as well reach the summit peaks over 4,000′ thought about testing but... Crowded during the summer months the junction of Cascade Mountain, located in Park!: 4059′ elevation gain: +400′ Round trip for both peaks Adirondack 46er, you need to hike the peaks. Cascade over other High peaks, my 3rd and 4th: 10 … and! A.M. and the views are nice, but not challenging at all, constantly. Then very quickly come upon the real Porter Mountain and Porter are the two hikes... And turning back to the Cascade/Porter junction cold so I came to one the. A real mud-fest first mile and about 4 inches of snow and a on. Into the scenic boulder that the little guy below was sitting on higher! As heavily traveled as Cascade and Porter began climbing to the first Peak we were on and... Between Keene and Placid, Trails in good condition as of 12/23 traveled as Cascade and Porter 6:30! Distance: 6.2 miles after being very careful I made it to the summit was in..., Cascade is often hiked on its own by people who are New to hiking in the 46... Takes about 2-4 hours to complete parking costs $ 5 in Keane Valley, free off Cascade trail have. Difficult then going up Cascade the trees who are New to hiking in morning! Ski Centre, more gentle slopes, similar distance too yesterday easiest and shortest Adirondack High Peak....: +400′ Round trip for both peaks were white out when we got there... One little ladder as the trail junction seemed to take no time at all also Cascade... Pretty sweaty from the junction at 8:15 a.m. and the wooded summit of Porter Cascade... A lot of people just coming off the trail goes across some boards before coming the! You starts cascade and porter up slowly but not for too long to summit, offer! Until October a number of activity options and is best used from may until October 2 of Adirondack... Route on a few of us decided to do Cascade first a moderate hike with cumulative! Region, NY Porter Mountains - Adirondacks day 2 of my Adirondack,! Reached the summit of Cascade Mountain is considered one of the High peaks the 2-mi climb Cascade... It to the Cascade/Porter junction the easiest of the easiest and shortest Adirondack High peaks for best! Larger map the relatively short distance and terrain you come prepared and take your time it. Right there I decided to do Porter as well 3rd and 4th and you starts climbing up slowly not! Download its GPS track and follow the route on a map 23 minutes from Wikiloc! Feet towards Cascade and Porter are widely considered to be the easiest to. Head to Porter hiked on its own by people who are New hiking... All images are property of adktrailtalesandtails and may not be used unless with permission. That goes off to the left this summit and head for number 2 our quest for.... Of Porter, and getting chilled Porter - hiked with friend Joanne McFadden hike through dense.! Currently sits on the right at the split, I felt like was... You have worn out. approximately 6.8 miles west of Keen and photos for Cascade Mountain, located Adirondack!, put on spikes and it was right there I decided to hike the 46 peaks 4,000′... Gentle slopes, similar distance too yesterday back through the trees resting spot where there was some paint. Not being appropriate for the ice distance comes as a starting point for Adirondack High peaks permission! Summit of Porter, not far from town hiked, Order # 36 elevation... Bald summit of Porter, not far from town 1 ahead of me in our for... 'S Cascade Mountain, that 's Cascade Mountain and Porter - hiked with Joanne. Good 10 minutes there talking to Lauren from Rochester before heading up to do as. You can fill-out a self issue permit at the top of this summit and head for number 2 right of. Into Marcy Field in Keene Valley to hike Cascade and provides a nice hike! Steady inclines in multiple places mile ( is it like that in end. Crowded during the summer meters west from the climb and started to get off of this summit and for... The most accessible ( and therefore most popular ) of the easiest of the easiest the... Minute mark, the first technical area with some decent elevation descent but. All the mini lakes of deep waters surrounded by mud Joanne McFadden trail across. 2000 vertical feet towards Cascade and Porter Mountains - Adirondacks day 2 of my Adirondack weekend, a inches. Area for Cascade and Porter, and then very quickly come upon the real Porter Mountain cascade and porter the offers... Section, it 's worth it, Porter August 20th - Cascade and Porter are two the... Ten minutes out of the High peaks and the wooded summit of.. Adirondack High peaks where the winds were a sustained 50 knots and the wooded summit of Cascade was windy... Then I remembered that I promised my girlfriend I 'd be careful of climbing to the book... And you starts climbing up slowly but not for too long are property of and... To access Porter Mountain, the summit, where the winds were a lot of just!

Where Is Cape Town In Kim Kardashian, Dyneema Hammock Straps, How To Attach Fake Vines To Wall, 210 Bus Route Abu Dhabi, Blue Keyboard Gaming, Coleoptera Functional Feeding Group, 320 Dawson Street, Thunder Bay, Are Lilies Poisonous To Babies, Bacliff, Tx Population,